Craig Alphonse Smith
Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
Bachelor of Arts in Communication
WFTV-9; Orlando, FL
- -Use Ignite and INews to direct the 10pm newscasts for WFTV 9, the #1 news station in Orlando, Florida.
- Assistant Direct the 4-6pm newscasts on ABC for WFTV 9, including operating Vintin, audio, floor directing, and coding.
- Help promotions, sales, and news film content outside of newscasts for the advancement of the station, including commercials and live productions.
WPDE; Myrtle Beach, SC
Director (September 2018-August 2019)
- Led a team in the daily production of the highest rated 11pm newscast in Myrtle Beach.
- Used Ross Overdrive, iNews, the Ross Acuity Switcher, and Telemetrics to direct newscasts.
- Helped develop and implement new work flows for our directing equipment to streamline and heighten newscasts.
- Edited abundant video content for shows and the web using AVID Media Composer, Adobe Premiere, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Directed various other newscasts and specials as needed
- Trained new employees on equipment, work flows and policies.
WAVY-TV; Portsmouth, VA
Director (December 2016-Present)
- Use Avid iNEWS and Ross OverDrive to solely code and direct the weekend morning newscasts
- Run the switcher, CG, audio, servers, and AVID TD Control during live shows using OverDrive
- Primary fill-in director for weekdays, direct the main shows often
- Work with producers and instruct camera ops to ensure impressive newscasts
- Run five robotic cameras if not directing during weekdays, exhibiting stellar cinematography
Red Bull; Los Angeles, CA
Freelance Journalist (February 2016-Present)
- Pitch and produce excellent features for http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports
- Cover all major FGC events for the website including previews, recaps, and features
- Use the Red Bull CMS to build articles, including media and text, to be uploaded to the site
- Meet quick deadlines and turnaround-times for articles
WAVY-TV; Portsmouth, VA
Production Operator (September 2015-November 2016)
- Direct five robotic cameras for afternoon and evening news broadcasts on NBC and FOX affiliates in Hampton Roads (WAVY-TV and FOX 43)
- Maintain aesthetically pleasing cinematography during live coverage of news, weather, traffic, and sports
- Edit show promos on Avid Media Composer
- Floor Director for anchors and reporters on set, including blocking
- Run Teleprompter for news shows
Comcast Spectacor; Norfolk, VA
Video Producer (December 2013-January 2016)
- Filmed Old Dominion University athletics (basketball, wrestling) for live broadcasting
- Produced graphics for Old Dominion University athletics
- Ran replay for Old Dominion University football; replayed every play, built/edited highligh reels during the game
- Compressed and exported highlights following the game for online purposes
- Filmed/ran graphics for live events (Katt Williams, Harlem Globetrotters, Spartyka Cage Fighting)
Disney College Program; Orlando, FL
Photopass Photographer (February 2015-August 2015)
- Took thousands of professional photos every day
- Interacted with guests using consistent professionalism and courtesy
- Conceived creative shots on a regular basis to provide stellar photos
Old Dominion University Music Department; Norfolk, VA
Audio Engineer (September 2014-January 2015)
- Ran the soundboard for live performances in the concert hall
- Recorded and edited the performances on Pro Tools
- Set up the speakers, mics, and lighting for shows
Norfolk Tides Baseball; Norfolk, VA
Graphics Producer/Coordinator (March 2014-October 2014)
- Produced and displayed graphics for the Tides baseball games (Farm team for the Baltimore Orioles)
- Used Globecaster to produce lower-thirds and run replays
- Color-corrected cameras, ensured they had quality video throughout the games
- Recorded the games for live-streaming, highlight videos and archiving purposes
The Salvationist Magazine; Toronto, Canada
Writer, Proofreader, Director, Editor (June 2013)
- Videotaped and edited interviews for the website
- Proofread all articles for the magazines
- Wrote book reviews, profiles and other articles for the magazines
- Gained perspective of the entire editorial process, starting from First Draft to Final Repro
Editing, directing, producing
- Use Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe Photoshop to create professional videos.
- Demo Reel: https://craigalphonse.com/videos/
- Organize beach volleyball games every Friday.
Excellent references available upon request